Monday, August 03, 2009

How Do I deal with My Oily Skin

It’s kind of hard to deal with oily skin. I always need to choose the right products which will not give me breakout, bumps, or acne. Besides, the large pores and greasiness give minus to my appearance. But, having oily skin actually is not that bad if we know how to handle it. Well, at least it slower ages than other skin types. I personally still learn how to take care of it. If you see the area around your nose is shiny and greasy after some hours after your face cleansing time, you might have the same skin type as mine.

Oily skin is caused by over-active sebaceous glands that produce a substance called sebum, a naturally healthy skin lubricant. When the skin produces excessive sebum, it becomes heavy and thick in texture. Oily skin is typified by shininess, blemishes and pimples. The oily-skin type is not necessarily bad, since such skin is less prone to wrinkling, or other signs of aging, because the oil helps to keep needed moisture locked into the epidermis” (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin)

There are several causes of oily skin, such as hormonal causes, pregnancy, taking birth control pills, humidity, weather, and cosmetic/skin care regimen. In my case, I guess my oily skin is caused by hormone level. The hormonal imbalance caused by pregnancy and menopause may also trigger the activity of sebaceous glands. In case of hormonal, usually the oil level tends to become lesser with age. I myself experience that my skin become less dry than in my teenager ages.

Here are some of my tips to deal with my oily skin:
  • I believe that everything is started from good cleansing. I always do two steps of cleansing: cleansing milk and face cleanser. Cleansing milk helps to dissolve impurities and excess oil from my skin, while the face soap to ensure that I’ve perfectly cleaned my skin. Arazyme is my best face cleanser so far. But I’m waiting to get my BRTC Blemish Soap from Riebutik. I’ll review it soon.
  • No more than three times of cleansing a day since it can overly strip the skin of its natural oils and then body will be provoked to boost the production of these oils. Sometimes when I need to clean my face more than twice, I use Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser which is mild enough and ensure to moist while cleaning my face

  • I prefer to rinse my skin with lukewarm rather than cold/hot water. Cold water can shrink pores; can not properly remove sebum and dirt, while hot water can strip the needed moisture. Besides, lukewarm water helps to open the clogged pores which may lead to skin problems.
  • Use non-comedogenic products which are oil-free and won't clog pores.
  • Use oil blotting sheets. I use this whenever I start to feel greasy
  • Cleanse any makeup off before bed to reduce the risk of clogged pores
  • Drink more water and vegetables can also help in controlling the oil production
I believe that you also have your own tips in managing problem with your skin, please feel free to share. I’d love to learn more ^-^

2 comments:

Ceecile ~Priscilla Clara~ ^^ said...

It's true, it's kinda hard to deal with oily skin (me, for example!)
Great post!^^
For me, using tea tree oil and mask regularly really helps. And vitamins for your skin, it's very important.. I'm using Ovale Essential Vitamin Face Rejuvenation right now.. Works great on me.. ^^

mapple said...

Hoi Ceecile ^^ .. thanks for coming!
I wanted to try Ovale, but dunno if it's good or not for oily skin. Have you wrote a review on it?